GE8291 SYLLABUS OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING – Regulation 2017 Anna University Semester 2
GE8291 Syllabus – OBJECTIVES:
- GE8291 – is to study the nature and facts about environment.
- For finding and implementing scientific, technological, economic and political solutions to environmental problems.
- To study the interrelationship between living organism and environment.
- For appreciate the importance of environment by assessing its impact on the human world; envision the surrounding environment, its functions and its value.
- To study the dynamic processes and understand the features of the earth‟s interior andsurface.
- To study the integrated themes and biodiversity, natural resources, pollution control andwaste management.
GE8291 Syllabus UNIT I ENVIRONMENT, ECOSYSTEMS AND BIODIVERSITY
GE8291 Definition, scope and importance of environment – need for public awareness – concept of an ecosystem – structure and function of an ecosystem – producers, consumers and decomposers – energy flow in the ecosystem – ecological succession – food chains, food webs and ecological pyramids – Introduction, types, characteristic features, structure and function of the (a) forest ecosystem (b) grassland ecosystem (c) desert ecosystem (d) aquatic ecosystems (ponds, streams, lakes, rivers, oceans, estuaries) – Introduction to biodiversity definition: genetic, species and ecosystem diversity – biogeographical classification of India – value of biodiversity: consumptive use, productive use, social, ethical, aesthetic and option values – Biodiversity at global, national and local levels – India as a mega-diversity nation – hot-spots of biodiversity – threats to biodiversity: habitat loss, poaching of wildlife, man-wildlife conflicts – endangered and endemic species of India – conservation of biodiversity: In-situ and ex-situ conservation of biodiversity. Field
study of common plants, insects, birds; Field study of simple ecosystems – pond, river, hill slopes, etc.
GE8291 Syllabus UNIT II ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
Definition – causes, effects and control measures of: (a) Air pollution (b) Water pollution (c) Soil pollution (d) Marine pollution (e) Noise pollution (f) Thermal pollution (g) Nuclear hazards – solid waste management: causes, effects and control measures of municipal solid wastes – role of an individual in prevention of pollution – pollution case studies – disaster management: floods, earthquake, cyclone and landslides. Field study of local polluted site – Urban / Rural / Industrial / Agricultural.
GE8291 Syllabus UNIT III NATURAL RESOURCES
Forest resources: Use and over-exploitation, deforestation, case studies- timber extraction, mining, dams and their effects on forests and tribal people – Water resources: Use and over- utilization of
surface and ground water, floods, drought, conflicts over water, dams-benefits and problems – Mineral resources: Use and exploitation, environmental effects of extracting and using mineral
resources, case studies – Food resources: World food problems, changes caused by agriculture and overgrazing, effects of modern agriculture, fertilizer-pesticide problems, water logging, salinity,
case studies – Energy resources: Growing energy needs, renewable and non renewable energy sources, use of alternate energy sources. case studies – Land resources: Land as a resource, land
degradation, man induced landslides, soil erosion and desertification – role of an individual in conservation of natural resources – Equitable use of resources for sustainable lifestyles. Field
study of local area to document environmental assets – river / forest / grassland / hill / mountain.
GE8291 Syllabus UNIT IV SOCIAL ISSUES AND THE ENVIRONMENT
From unsustainable to sustainable development – urban problems related to energy – water conservation, rain water harvesting, watershed management – resettlement and rehabilitation of people; its problems and concerns, case studies – role of non-governmental
organization- environmental ethics: Issues and possible solutions – climate change, global warming, acid rain, ozone layer depletion, nuclear accidents and holocaust, case studies. – wasteland reclamation – consumerism and waste products – environment production act – Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) act – Water (Prevention and control of Pollution) act – Wildlife protection act – Forest conservation act – enforcement machinery involved in
environmental legislation- central and state pollution control boards- Public awareness.
GE8291 Syllabus UNIT V HUMAN POPULATION AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Population growth, variation among nations – population explosion – family welfare programme – environment and human health – human rights – value education – HIV / AIDS – women and child welfare – role of information technology in environment and human health – Case studies.
GE8291 Syllabus OUTCOMES:
- Environmental Pollution or problems cannot be solved by mere laws. Public participation is an important aspect which serves the environmental Protection. One will obtain knowledge on the following after completing the course.
- Public awareness of environmental is at infant stage.
- Ignorance and incomplete knowledge has lead to misconceptions
- Development and improvement in std. of living has lead to serious environmental disasters
GE8291 Syllabus TEXTBOOKS:
1. Benny Joseph, ‘Environmental Science and Engineering’, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2006.
2. Gilbert M.Masters, ‘Introduction to Environmental Engineering and Science’, 2nd edition,Pearson Education, 2004.
GE8291 Syllabus REFERENCES :
1. Dharmendra S. Sengar, ‘Environmental law’, Prentice hall of India Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, 2007.
2. Erach Bharucha, “Textbook of Environmental Studies”, Universities Press(I) Pvt, Ltd, Hydrabad, 2015.
3. G. Tyler Miller and Scott E. Spoolman, “Environmental Science”, Cengage Learning India PVT, LTD, Delhi, 2014.
4. Rajagopalan, R, ‘Environmental Studies-From Crisis to Cure’, Oxford University Press, 2005.
|Subject name||Environmental Science Engineering|
|File details||Syllabus in PDF format in attached|
GE8291 syllabus click here to download
GE8291 Notes Environmental Science and Engineering
GE8291 Important questions Environmental Science and Engineering
GE8291 Question Paper Environmental Science and Engineering
Other Subject links
MA8251 Syllabus Engineering Mathematics 2 Click here
HS8251 Syllabus TECHNICAL ENGLISH Click here
HS8251 Notes TECHNICAL ENGLISH Click here
Civil Engineering subjects for regulation 2017
Mechanical Engineering (MECH) subjects for regulation 2017
Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) subjects for regulation 2017
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) subjects for regulation 2017
Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) subjects for regulation 2017
Information Technology (IT) subjects for regulation 2017
Search for students:
- Environmental Science Engineering syllabus Anna University free download.
- GE8291 anna university syllabus 2017 regulation.
- 1st year GE8291 syllabus for 2017 regulation.
- Anna university syllabus for Environmental Science Engineering.
- Sem 2 GE8291 2017 regulation.
- Environmental Science Engineering syllabus R2017.
- Anna university GE8291 notes.
- Notes for Environmental Science Engineering.
- Semester two GE8291 syllabus free.
- Environmental Science Engineering syllabus free pdf download.